Letter from our Principal
Dear Parents / Guardians -
I am writing to share information about the Center for Career Services (CCS) for the 2020-21 School Year. Planning for this year looked a bit different from previous school years since we are faced with a new challenge. But our Career and Technical Education (CTE) teachers are problem solvers by nature, and I am proud of the work we have done to prepare for technology supported instruction and to promote a safe school learning environment.
Our Board of Education recently approved a revised School Calendar moving our student start date to Monday, 9/14/2020. This gives our staff additional planning time as we continue to prepare for our students to arrive and as we finalize some of the logistics around our opening.
I ask that you take time to review the SWBOCES Reopening Plan on our website, and subsequent addendums , which can be accessed on our main page at www.swboces.org. Please note that the plan was created at the District level, not the building level. Our responsibility at the CCS was to take that District-level plan, once it was NYSED-approved, and develop guidance around it as it relates to the day-to-day operation of the CCS.
We usually share campus-wide procedures with our students through a student orientation on campus once the students return, and then by sending a Student Handbook home for parents/guardians to review and sign off on. These two tasks will be done virtuallyIdigitally this year—the orientation will occur through Zoom (students only) and the Student Handbook will be shared through Google Classroom for your review. This year's Student Handbook will also include an addendum of items that relate specifically to additional protocols put in place in accordance with CDC, state Department of Health, and NYSED guidelines.
These procedures include, but are not limited to:
- Daily student temperature screenings & weekly health screenings
- Required use of facial coverings and social distancing
- Reduced class sizes & modifications to student arrival & dismissal procedures
- Limited movement between buildings, class rooms, & offices
- Increased use of Zoom, Google Meet, digital textbooks, Google Classroom, & other digital resources
- Additional nursing procedures and
- Increased cleaning & sanitation protocols
I understand that the above procedures as well as the current educational environment we are in may cause some areas of concern and prompt some questions. So, I have planned a series of Parent Informational Meetings via Zoom, the first of which is scheduled for Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM.
Information on signing up for this meeting and any future meetings, as well as how to join the Zoom meetings will be forwarded to you once you RSVP at this link. We are planning to keep these meetings to a manageable size to allow for a Q&A, so if you are unable to attend the above meeting you will be given a future date and time. Please frequent the CCS website for continuous updates.
If you have any specific questions or concerns, please reach out to me directly at email@example.com or by calling (914) 761-3400. I appreciate all the feedback, comments, and questions I have received to date - as the information is extremely helpful to have as we continue to finalize our CCS guidance. Thank you.
Test of the Emergency Messaging System Coming Soon
NEW! Video: Parents Guide to Student Illness
Parent Informational Meetings
- Meetings for parents/guardians of currently enrolled Career & Tech students . During these informational sessions, the principal will be sharing some of the guidance being developed around the SWBOCES Reentry Plan as it relates to the day-to-day operation of the CCS. Please register for the Zoom sessions by clicking HERE. After submitting to the link, you will be contacted via email to be provided Zoom credentials to join the session. If you were not contacted for a Zoom meeting that has run, you will be added to the subsequent session.
- Session #1 - Thursday, 9/10/2020 at 6:00 PM via Zoom - Available to all Districts
- Session #2 - Date & Time TBA - Available to all Districts
- Session # 3 - Thursday, 9/17/2020 at 6:00 PM - Available to New Rochelle HS students only
CTE Student Voices
Forms & Links for the 2020-21 School Year
- COVID- 19 symptoms:
- One Time School Entrance Attestation:
- Weekly Health Screening Link:
- Use the following as a means to submit the required weekly health screening attestation. This information must be submitted on a weekly basis, by no later then Wednesday of each week throughout the school year:
- Parent Pickup Packet:
- In the event a student presents with signs and symptoms as determined by the Nurse, the following is the packet of information that will be sent home with the child as they are picked up by the parent / guardian in accordance with the SWBOCES Reentry Plan: Parent Pickup Packet.pdf
CCS Student News
News Feed Center for Career Services 2020-21
SWBOCES 'ambassador' praised for support, guidance of youth
Surprising no one who knows him, Security Aide Mike Jones has formally commended for his "outstanding support and guidance" offered to the young people served by the Westchester Development Academy for Youth.Center for Career Services
Fun finds on InstagramNews Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Garrett Jennings named to WECANews Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Fashion with (virtual) flair
Our fashion students missed an opportunity to host a fashion show this year, but they were able to strut on at-home catwalks, putting on a virtual show! Students created COVID-19 inspired fashion, videotaped themselves modeling their designs.News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
National Technical Honor Society has new members
The Center for Career Services found a unique way to celebrate the newest members of the National Technical Honor Society. Unable to host an in-person ceremony due to the coronavirus, the Center opted for a virtual one, sharing a pre-recorded ceremony on June 17.News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
CTE students recognized on consecutive nights
The Center for Career Services honored students on back-to-back nights. The first time came with the premier of the National Technical Honor Society induction ceremony on Wednesday, June 17. Next, on Thursday, June 18, the Center premiered its year-end Recognition Ceremony, where 335 graduates celebrated embarking on the careers for which SWBOCES has trained them. Both videos can be viewed in full online at http://careers.swboces.org. We congratulate our students on their achievements.News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Recognition Ceremony 2020
This year's Recognition Ceremony was a bit different, a reflection on the school year that saw a dramatic change when distance learning was introduced in the ealry spring. As always, the Southern Westchester BOCES Center for Career Services wanted to create a special evening to recognize its students. Since an in-person event was not possible, school administrators created a virtual one! Click here to learn more about the ceremony and to watch a video of the event.News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Student work to be featured in upcoming art exhibition
Commercial Art student Carlos Valiente recently received some great news. One of his pieces he did for his class work will be featured in the Greenwich, Connecticut-based Bruce Museum upcoming iCreate Exhibition!News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Read our latest Careers Central!
Our latest Careers Central e-newsletter can now be viewed! Learn about all the amazing projects our students have been engaged in during distance learning and how our teachers have gone above and beyond to create meaningful learning experiences for them!News Feed - Center for Career Services 2019-20
Welcome to the CCS!
Education and career training are what students get at the Center for Career Services in Valhalla. We offer classes in a variety of career and technical disciplines for students seeking to develop skills that will lead to rewarding, high-demand careers.
8:25 AM to 10:55 AM
Buses leave CCS at 11:00 AM
11:55 AM to 2:25 PM
Buses leave CCS at 2:30 PM